Saturday 29 October 2011

Regarding Triumphant Triumph

Let all the people rejoice, for I have finished reading a book.  Not just any book, mind you - no, no.  I have finished reading 'Ivanhoe' by one Sir Walter Scott.

This was no easy feat.

The book is claimed to be 'the father of the modern historical romance novel' or something like that.  I believe that about ninety-eight percent of the book could have been removed without affecting the storyline at all.  And romance?  There was no romance.  There was fighting aplenty, and certainly some racism, but nothing which I would consider romantic.  'Dense' is the best way to describe this book.

But this is not a rant: it is a joyous celebration.  I have FINISHED the book and am COMPLETELY DONE WITH IT.

And now, having got through that, I do believe I can get through anything.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! Triumph. I'm sorry you didn't like it. It should hearten you that this is now on my list of "Things I Shall Never Willingly Read" along with The Giver, Wuthering Heights, and Romeo and Juliet.

    I'm glad you updated, and I'm sorry I did not respond sooner, but I did not receive an email.

    p.s. What on EARTH is a Diathoun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Don't let Kristebel sway you - 'The Giver' was a really great book. Wuthering Heights is on my list of Literature That I Should Probably Read. Romeo and Juliet should be on there too.

    A Diathoun? I'm sorry, but I do not think that I can help you there. Where have you seen reference to this mystical Diathoun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for being done with Ivanhoe! I do believe that was the most ponderous book I've ever read. I think we could sum it up nicely with: "Let's take advantage of that horrid Jew." "Why YES! Let's!!" "We are righteous in our racism." "Who is that guy?" "O.M.G. It's Ivanhoe! And Richard!" "BTW Athelstane is dead." "O.M.G. No he IS-INT!!!"

    End.

    ReplyDelete